It would be an absolute travesty to travel to Bali and not visit the Monkey Forest and Temple in Ubud. It is everything you expect and more… This beautiful temple in the forest is on a river and there are monkeys everywhere you look. Bananas are available for purchase throughout the temple to feed the monkeys, but beware, they may seem cute, however, they can be quite vicious. Make sure to hang on to your cameras, phones and definitely do not wear your sunglasses on your head, as they will be quickly snatched. Overall, the monkeys are playful and friendly, though I did witness several people get bitten – though no blood was shed.
One of my favourite things I have done throughout my time in Bali thus far has been the sunrise hike of Mount Batur. Mount Batur is a volcano located close to Ubud that most recently erupted in 2000. We were late arriving at the base to begin our trek, so a leisurely 2.5-3 hour hike to watch the sunrise turned into a race up a steep 5, 600+ feet to make it in time. This is a must see for anyone traveling to Bali, it is undeniably worth the myriad of emotions you will feel throughout the journey. To make your hike go as smoothly as possible, here are my suggestions:
- Bring a warm sweater as it is quite cold for the first third of the way up as generally people start their climb around 3:30am
- Bring a large water bottle as well as food for when you reach the summit, I personally needed a snack around 5:30am – though there will be both food and beverage for sale by locals who do the hike every morning
- Wear comfortable athletic shoes with good grip – bear in mind that a large portion of your hike will be through lava stone
- Make sure you’re camera battery is fully charged and has plenty of memory – the view is exquisite
- If you have the option of hiking to the 3rd peak after sunrise, it is definitely worth the extra trek
- Bring sunglasses for the walk back down and be sure to have plenty of water left – once the sun rises the heat becomes pretty intense
Here are some photos from my hike:
I am absolutely obsessed with this Canggu gem. As a celiac, I am constantly trying to find great gluten free options with substance and this place hits the nail right on the head. Not only is their coffee fantastic, their acai bowl HipStar – I have to order mine without strawberries due to an unfortunate allergy- has been my obsession since I first laid eyes on it. Steve’s go to is Why So Cereal a frozen banana based smoothie bowl with granola, and when I’m in the mood for something different, the Green Brekkie is the perfect combination of bitter sauteed greens, quinoa and flawlessly poached eggs.
Click here to find it in google maps!
As some of you may know, I have been living in Bali for the past 3 months. It has been an interesting time thus far, to say the least, and I look forward to sharing my experiences with you. Thanks for stopping by and stay tuned for what’s coming up!
You would have hated watching me pack up the apartment, but I would do anything to have you sulking on your bed in the corner right now. 💔👼🏼🐶
Today my worst nightmare came true, I unexpectedly lost my best friend in the entire universe. I always dreaded this day, but never imagined it would come so soon. I am at a total loss for words and my heart is completely shattered. I would appreciate my privacy in the coming days as I process this immeasurable loss. Benny was my entire world, I am nothing without him. Rest in peace my angel, mommy loves you. 🐶👼🏼💔